Have you tried drinking yogurt?
Thinking of GoGo squeeZ YogurtZ?
No, I am not talking about the store-bought yogurt!
A few days back, I went to my friend’s place and had a small cup of drinkable yogurt prepared at home. It was so tasty that it felt like having ice cream or a cold milkshake. So, if you are wondering how to make drinkable yogurt at home, then this is the right time to do that.
I know there are many soft drinks available in the market, and it is pretty affordable for all of us, but if you want to have something peaceful and healthy, why not try drinking yogurt?
It’s straightforward to prepare your yogurt at home. Yogurt is made by fermenting milk to produce lactic acid bacteria cultures, such as Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. Bulgaricus and Streptococcus Thermophilus.
This bacteria culture has many health benefits, so it’s worth making your yogurt at home.
What is a Drinkable Yogurt?
Drinkable yogurt is simply yogurt with a thinner consistency, making it easy to consume as a beverage. The consistency is achieved by using less milk solids, blending the yogurt with added liquids like water or milk, or incorporating ingredients that contribute to a more liquid consistency.
To make liquid yogurt at home, follow these steps:
Choose a base yogurt: You can start with regular yogurt or Greek yogurt. Keep in mind that Greek yogurt is thicker, so you may need to add more liquid to achieve the desired consistency.
Add liquid: Blend the yogurt with water, milk, or fruit juice, depending on your preference. Start with a small amount of liquid and gradually add more until you reach the desired consistency for a drinkable yogurt.
Customize the flavor: To add flavor, you can blend in fruits, honey, or other sweeteners. You can also add spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, or vanilla extract for extra depth of flavor.
Blend until smooth: Using a blender, mix all the ingredients together until you get a smooth, pourable consistency. Adjust the liquid and flavorings as needed.
What Are The Benefits of Drinking Yogurt
Drinking yogurt is an excellent way to obtain health benefits; the probiotics from live active cultures present in yogurt help your body maintain overall health. It is believed that drinking yogurt can provide a considerable amount of positive effects on the human body as it contains lactic acid bacteria, which has many health benefits.
Drinking yogurt every day will be good for your overall well-being and here are a few reasons why you should try drinking yogurt at least once a day:
1. Helps to Maintain Digestive System
The best thing about yogurt is that its live cultures can help keep harmful bacteria under control, resulting in a healthy and robust digestive system. It will help you enhance good bacteria levels in the gut, which ultimately benefits the body digest food appropriately.
2. Good for Health
If you think that yogurt can be an excellent substitute for probiotic pills, then give it a try as drinkable yogurt contains lactic acid bacteria cultures with medicinal properties. They are suitable for promoting healthy bacteria in the body and have a significant role in improving overall health.
3. Weight Loss
As we all know that obesity is a serious problem nowadays. To fight against it, you should drink more yogurt as this can be useful to control your weight by reducing your appetite naturally. The active cultures present in yogurt are another primary reason for weight loss because it helps to make you feel full and prevent you from craving food.
4. Controls High Blood Pressure
The good amount of lactic acid present in fresh yogurt can help regulate the cholesterol level in your body, which ultimately helps to control high blood pressure. On the other hand, drinking yogurt regularly can also help lower the risks of developing heart diseases, cancer, and stroke.
5. Prevents Cold
Natural yogurt will also help you get rid of colds if taken regularly. It naturally fights against different types of germs responsible for causing the common cold, flu, and fever. Drinking a cup of good-quality yogurt will boost your immunity and help you fight against the common cold.
6. Improves Blood Circulation
There are many other health benefits of drinking yogurt, but I think the most important thing about it is that it helps to improve blood circulation in the human body. It is due to lactic acid bacteria, which breaks down complex carbohydrates into simple single sugar molecules. So, improved blood circulation helps in overall body health.
7. Improves Bone Health
Another significant health benefit of drinking yogurt is that it helps prevent bone density loss and reduces your risk of developing osteoporosis in old age. It’s due to calcium in yogurt, which is a critical component in developing solid bones.
How to Make Drinkable Yogurt?
Ingredients & Tools Needed:
1. Good quality milk (total fat): Milk should not be more than 7 days old and stored in the refrigerator. Preferably use organic milk if you can.
2. The culture which is used for fermenting yogurt, called “Yogurt Starter.” You can buy it online or from any bakery shop.
I usually use this culture available at my local grocery store because I don’t want to buy something which is not needed for anything else. Also, the yogurt starter comes in a large quantity. It will be enough until I make the next batch of drinkable yogurt.
3. A good quality Thermometer.
Homemade Yogurt Recipe:
1. Take a bowl and add 300 ml milk to it. Warm the milk in a microwave for about 10-15 seconds until you can quickly stir it without burning your fingertips. Otherwise, heat 1/2 cup regular milk on a medium flame for about 3 mins or until it becomes warm.
2. Take 2-3 tablespoons of yogurt starter, add it to the warm milk, and stir it gently using a whisk or spoon. (It will not dissolve completely). Do not heat anymore. But cover the bowl with a paper towel and store it in a warm place for 6-8 hours or overnight for better results.
3. Keep the bowl inside the oven with the light turned on or near a heater for fermentation. If it’s late at night and you are afraid that your neighbors will complain about the smell, you can even place it near the refrigerator to keep warm.
4. After 6-8 hours, check if there is any separation of liquid (pudding) and solid (curds) floating on top of the liquid. If not, keep it in the oven for another hour or until there is a separation.
5. Now, with the help of a spoon, remove solid yogurt curds from the liquid and place them into another bowl. Please don’t throw away the remaining liquid; we will make more yogurt at home later. So you can keep the remaining liquid in the freezer until then.
6. Let yogurt sit for 2 to 4 hours (or up to 8 hours) at room temperature until it is thick and creamy-looking.
7. Spoon yogurt into a sealable container or a zip-lock bag and store it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
8. That’s it, you have made a healthy homemade yogurt at your home.
9. Serve either chilled or slightly warmed, and enjoy this delectable drink with fruit or nuts of your choice. I hope you will like it as much as I did!
10. Above method is to make regular (plain) yogurt. You can use the same way to make tasty flavored yogurt.
11. Above step is only required to serve your drinkable yogurt warm or at room temperature.
How Do You Make Yogurt More Liquid?
Suppose you want a more liquid yogurt; no need to panic. As it will be stored in the refrigerator, it will become more liquid within hours. You have to remove from the container into smaller containers and then chill until ready to serve.
A tip on getting a thicker yogurt is to strain it through a cheesecloth.
How Do You Make Yogurt More Bubbly?
The most straightforward trick to achieve this would be to pour the freshly made drinkable yogurt into your bottles after letting them cool down for some time and then shaking well. It will also help in making the drink frothy within minutes.
Do You Drink this Every Day?
I love that I can make my yogurt, and I do not have to worry about preservatives when it comes to homemade food, so yes, I am drinking this every day. Recently I also bought a Soda Stream Machine, and this is the first time that I am trying to carbonate my homemade drinks.
- It’s incredible how much the drink has changed by just adding a little bit of fizz to it.
- It also helps with digestion, as the lactic acid produced from consuming yogurt helps to break down the food during digestion.
- Re-heating your fresh, homemade yogurt in the microwave for about 25 seconds, and then adding some fruit preserves or honey to it.
- The drink is also high in protein, calcium, and Vitamin B12, which can help you fight depression, boost brain function and increase circulation.
How Long Can I Store Homemade Yogurt?
Homemade yogurt should be stored in the refrigerator and consumed within a few days because homemade yogurt does not contain the same preservatives that commercially prepared yogurts do. It may not have as much sugar as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Drinkable Yogurt Same Thing As Regular Yogurt?
No, Drinkable Yogurt is much more watery in consistency as compared to regular yogurt. Drinkable yogurt is more like a beverage that is prepared same as the traditional yogurt.
Is Drinkable Yogurt Healthy?
Drinkable yogurt is a lean protein and is an excellent alternative to eggs and sausages for breakfast. The presence of Vitamin D, Calcium and Branched Chain Amino Acids are known to have incredible health benefits.
Is Kefir the Same As Drinkable Yogurt?
Although Kefir and Yogurt are almost similar in use they are considered different dairy products. Although both are main from milk and are fermented, kefir is made from the kefir grains that contain everything for milk fermentation. On the other hand, yogurt is made from cultured bacteria.
What is Another Word for Drinkable Yogurt?
Drinkable yogurt is also referred as Kephir or kefier. It is the fermented milk drink which is very similar to ayran or thin yogurt made from the kefir grains. Although Kefir and Drinkable Yogurt are highly similar in variety and uses, there may be difference in its variety and uses.