Reuteri Yogurt is a culture made from dairy that contains entirely different types of microbes compared to regular yogurts. The positive bacteria lactobacillus reuteri comes with higher benefits and a greater probiotic capacity than traditional yogurt. It is even thicker than Greek yogurt. Overall, it is a good-tasting yogurt.
You’ll love this creamy yogurt for its impressive flavor and great texture! You can prepare the first batch using ultra-pasteurized milk and a yogurt maker for successful results. This blog post will direct you with the right recipe of How to make L. Reuteri Yogurt without fail.
The Easiest way to make L. Reuteri yogurt at home
Yields: Around 4 cup servings
Maintaining Temperature Required: 100 degrees F
- Starter: 2 tablespoons of L. reuteri yogurt or 10 tablets BioGaia Gastrus
- A large ceramic bowl or glass bowl with a capacity to hold one quart of liquid.
- Raw potato starch or Inulin 2 tablespoons of prebiotic fiber (anyone)
- 1 quart of half-and-half milk (To make vegan yogurt using coconut milk, you need to use other ingredients)
FERMENT TIME FOR REUTERI YOGURT
L.reuteri yogurt requires a lengthy bacteria yogurt fermentation process. Normally milk will curdle for 12 hours in the maker to turn into yogurt. For Reuteri Yogurt, much longer fermentation is required to create bacterial counts that provide therapeutic benefits. Hence, L. Reuteri yogurt should ferment for at least 30 and 36 hours.
Let’s quickly check out the important aspects that help in making a perfect L. Reuteri yogurt.
Prebiotics come in indigestible plant fibers that nourish the probiotics or healthy bacteria already present in the large intestine. The greater the prebiotics, the more the healthy bacteria can work for your health. Adding a small amount of prebiotic fibre to the milk to fed the healthy bacteria gives far better results.
During their long fermentation process, the following are the prebiotic fiber that can be fed to the bacteria as food.
- Organic pure inulin powder
- Partially hydrolyzed guar gum (PHGG) (Ensure that the guar gum you use should contain probiotics)
- Organic unmodified potato starch (watch out for added preservatives)
The recommended amount is using 2 tablespoons per quart (or litre) of milk. It also thickens the yogurt consistency.
Is Holding the Milk Important?
Traditional yogurt-making practices involve heating the milk to break down its protein so that they set and bind together. Holding the milk at 82° C (180° F) for 20 minutes (or longer) with a bit of evaporation due to extended heating improves the yogurt texture. If the milk accidentally boils briefly, don’t worry. Just reduce the heat and continue holding it on the low flame.
You can observe a significant difference in the texture and structure of L. reuteri yogurt when you preheated and cooled milk before adding prebiotic powder and probiotic bacteria.
Without heating, half and half milk produced fragile and thin yogurt. You can also notice the cream content at the top with much-separated whey. Once the milk cools down after heating, a thin layer of skin needs not be removed. Don’t worry. It does not produce lumpy yogurt.
Re-Inoculate the Next Batch
To re-inoculate your next Jar of yogurt, keep aside a portion of “mother batch” (with 10 crushed probiotic tablets). You can use this portion of your first Jar of L.reuteri yogurt in making subsequent yogurt batches. 10 tablets of crushed probiotic tablets can be replaced with 1/3rd cup of L. Reuteri Yogurt.
We recommend reinoculation be done only when necessary to ensure that the L Reuteri strains in homemade yogurt are pure and uncontaminated.
To ensure that the yogurt contains L. Reuteri bacteria and is not a breeding ground for unwanted germs, it’s good to begin a new mother batch after four re-transfers. It means, that once you use the portion re-transfers for 4 subsequent batches, you should create a new mother batch using crushed probiotic tablets. If you find any significant changes to the taste, smell, or texture, you should consider this sooner.
Which Milk Should I Consider?
USING ‘half-and-half’ cow’s milk yields the best results. A blend of cream and whole milk, known as half-and-half milk (In UK, it is known as half cream with 10 18% fat content).
We’ve looked into different alternatives for half-and-half milk if it is not accessible in your country:
1. Organic milk is the best option because it is free of pesticides, fertilizers, hormones, GMOs, and antibiotics. Full cream milk may also be used for optimum outcomes. Skim or low-fat milk should be avoided as it will not give the desired consistency of yogurt.
2. You may create your thick cream by combining 100 percent pure organic cream with organic full cream milk resulting into thicker yogurt. However, be vigilant for any extra substances in the cream. Thickeners used to thicken cream might cause problems during the fermentation process. We recommend a ratio of approximately ¾ milk to ¼ cream for good results.
3. If you use only full-cream milk, the end product won’t be as thick as yogurt produced with cream. There will be a thin layer of cream on top of the yogurt if you will use unhomogenized full cream milk. The amount of cream in each succeeding batch grows.
4. If you prefer a thinner consistency, consider goat and sheep milk.
What are the Vegan Yogurt Options?
The best plant-based milk for L. Reuteri yogurt is additive-free canned full-fat coconut milk or a blend of coconut milk and cream.
Easiest Method to Make L. Reuteri Yogurt at Home
1. Take half-and-half milk (a mix of milk and cream) and pour 2/3rd of it into the yogurt-making Jar. Keep third a cup aside.
2. Add the required prebiotic fiber into a mixing bowl.
3. Add the remaining 1/3 cup of milk to this fiber in the bowl and make a ‘lump-free’ slurry.
4. (a) TO MAKE THE FRESH MOTHER BATCH: Use a mortar-pestle, or another hard object on a clean, dry surface to crush 10 probiotic tablets into a fine powder. Combine the crushed probiotic powder with the milk & prebiotic slurry and mix well.
(b) TO MAKE SUBSEQUENT BATCHES: Take 1/3 cup of L.reuteri yogurt (from a previous batch) and mix in.
5. Pour and stir this slurry into the Jar with the milk till it incorporates.
6. Now gently place this Jar into the yogurt maker after fixing its lid. For the yogurt makers with water-bath technology, Pour water slowly into the base. Take a note of the indicated ‘tall line’ to avoid overfilling the water. Place the cover lid on top. The milk is prepared to begin fermentation after being pasteurized, mixed, and covered.
7. Choose the temperature to 36°C or 38°C. Set the digital control panel for 24 hours. Press ‘confirm’ to begin incubation.
8. After 24 hours, as the timer ends, reset the timer for another 6 to 12 hours.
9. The fermentation completes once the timer is finished for the second time. Please be advised that condensation may have accumulated beneath the cover lid during fermentation. Take care while removing it to avoid dripping water on your bench rather than into the water bath.
10. Remove the yogurt jar from the yogurt maker and switch it off. The L.reuteri yogurt will be runny and warm when taken out straight from the machine. But it’ll separate into layers if you allow it to sit. Don’t be concerned; this is natural. When making L.reuteri yogurt, don’t stir it while it’s warm.
11. Keeping it for 6 hours helps achieve the desired consistency and a tart-tasting yogurt. You can achieve the thicker yogurt curd by separating the whey.
Add some fresh or frozen berries, and you are good to go to enjoy your favorite L. Reuteri yogurt. It is an irresistible healthy recipe inspiration for L. Reuteri yogurt that many health-freaks are trying.
What Are the Benefits of L. Reuteri?
L. Reuteri’s ability to promote hypothalamic oxytocin release accounts for the bulk of its health benefits. Other health benefits of eating the L. Reuteri yogurt include:
- Wrinkles on the skin due to burst of dermal collagen turn smooth.
- One of the most significant actions you can take to prevent osteoporosis is maintaining proper bone density. Including L. Reuteri in your diet helps in preventing osteoporosis.
- The anorexigenic effect refers to the reduction in appetite. With L. Reuteri in your diet, the food will still taste wonderful, but you will not tempt to eat more By limiting your calorie intake, it aids in weight loss
- Your healing capacity enhances with the consumption of L. Reuteri regularly. Healing time goes down by half.
- There is an increase desire for interpersonal connection.
- Men’s testosterone levels increases with the intake of L. Reuteri.
- Prevention of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), as well as other probiotic effects.
- Improved sex drive in Men
- Those who suffer from constant sleepiness and cannot fall asleep in less than 30 minutes generally receive the benefit of peaceful sleep (though only 20% of people enjoy this advantage).
If you are looking for healthy eating alternatives, L.Reuteri yogurt is an excellent choice. To get the best results for homemade L. Reuteri yogurt, you should consider using the half and half milk mixture of whole milk and pure fat cream.
Reuteri Yogurt Disclaimer: You may not get the desired consistency in the first go. You may try for a few batches to get the desired consistency.