How to make yogurt without using a yogurt maker is the question many people ask. According to fermentingforfoodies, It could be annoying to prepare yogurt in such a tiny jar when you have to ferment it in larger batches for a family. Lot of people have a myth that they will not get the right consistency of yogurt without a yougrut maker. It’s easy. All you need to do is use a thermometer and keep track of the temperature for your yogurt! That’s it!
Pro Tip: Keep track of the temperature for your yogurt!
How To Make Yogurt Without Yogurt Maker?
Here is a step-by-step guide to make yogurt without yogurt maker:
- First, heat 1 liter of milk up to 185°F (85°C). Make sure it doesn’t boil. If you are not using non-homogenized milk, shake it a little bit to ensure that cream and milk don’t separate. Let the milk cool down before adding it to yogurt. If you want thicker yogurt, you can add a tablespoon of milk powder.
- If you are using cow’s milk, make sure the milk is not ultra-pasteurized. Ultra-Pasteurized or UHT Milk cannot be used for making yogurt.
- Yogurt should sit in a warm environment (86°F, 30°C) for 6 to 12 hours, depending on the thickness you want. You can make a thicker yogurt by letting it sit longer.
- If you have a dehydrator with an adjustable thermostat, that works great too!
- Every time the temperature of my yogurt drops 2°F (1°C), I turn on the dehydrator for 15 minutes.
- After 12 hours or so, the yogurt is ready. It should be thickened to your liking. You can check that by taking a tablespoon of yogurt and let it cool down. If the yogurt doesn’t fall off from the spoon in one piece, it’s done! If you want a tarter taste, you can let it sit longer.
As you can see, making yogurt without a yogurt maker is not very difficult! All that is needed is to keep track of the temperature, and a thermometer will do wonders for you! I hope this helps those of you interested in making yogurt without using a yogurt maker.
- How to make vegan yogurt?
- How to make yogurt in instant pot?
- What is yogurt cheese and how to make it?
- How to make coconut yogurt?
- How to make yogurt cheese?
- How to make drinkable yogurt?
- How to make yogurt with yogurt maker?
- How to make Frozen Yogurt?
What are the Alternatives If You Don’t Want To Buy a Yogurt maker?
Here are some other options to make yogurt without a yogurt maker:
- If you do not have a yogurt maker, put your sealed containers into an oven-proof pot such as a thermos flask or a deep-sided casserole dish and pour boiling water around them. Make sure it covers the yogurt containers by at least 2 inches (5 cm). Close the pot and let it sit for 10 to 12 hours in a warm place before transferring into the fridge.
- An easy way is to use a crockpot (slow cooker) by filling it with boiling water and leaving the yogurt containers for 12 hours, then transfer into the fridge like regular. It works very well, but you have to buy a new one just for making yogurt as they cannot withstand high temperatures and will crack.
- You can also use an electric device that keeps food hot. Ensure that you read instructions as some of them require you to use different types of containers or may not be suitable for making yogurt.
- If you do not want to buy any of these, you can also fill a thermos flask or a deep-sided casserole dish with boiling water and leave the yogurt containers for 12 hours in that. Transfer into the fridge like regular. It works very well but makes sure you do not fill your thermal cooking bag to more than half of its volume, or it may split open when too hot.
- If you want to make more yogurt at once, you can easily create your steps by using multiple pots or containers with lids to measure how much water each one needs (2 inches or 5 cm) and put them all into the oven mentioned previously. Just remember to keep everything level so that water does not spill into containers and spoil your yogurt somehow.
- You can also use a thermal cooking bag, leave the yogurt containers for 12 hours with boiling water, and then transfer them to the fridge like regular. It works very well but makes sure you do not fill your thermal cooking bag to more than half of its volume, or it may split open when too hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Make Yogurt Wiothout Yogurt?
There are readymade starter cultures in just need to be put to make yogurt without yogurt at home.
Do Milk and Lemon Make Yogurt?
Adding milk and lemon together will cuddle the milk at the bottom and left out with the buttermilk.
How Long is Homemade Yogurt Good For?
You should consider consuming homemade yogurt within 3-5 days of preparation.
If you want to make more yogurt at once, you can easily create your steps by using multiple pots or containers with lids to measure how much water each one needs (2 inches or 5 cm) and put them all into the oven mentioned previously. Just remember to keep everything level so that water does not spill into containers and spoil your yogurt somehow.