Curdled milk can be turned into yogurt by the action of several species of bacteria. Yogurt-maker is a machine that keeps the curdled milk warm for several hours to accelerate the development of microorganisms and grow good bacteria.
The yogurt maker will not make yogurt from scratch or cure already produced yogurt. If you wish to make yogurt from scratch, first, you will have to make it and leave it to curdle for several hours in a pot. Yogurt-maker is used only to maintain the temperature of already made yogurt so that bacteria can grow quickly.
Yogurt maker machines can be bought anywhere or online at eBay, Amazon, etc. There are many types of yogurt-maker. They can be made of metal, plastic, or ceramic. The best thing about some types is that they keep the yogurt warm for more than 12 hours, making the bacteria grow very strong.
- How to Make Strawberry Banana Smoothie without Yogurt?
- How to Make Lactose Free Yogurt?
- How to make Mango Smoothie Without Yogurt?
- How to Make Smoothie without Yogurt?
- How to make Yogurt from Pasteurized Milk?
- How to Make Chocolate Frozen Yogurt?
- How to make Buttermilk from Yogurt?
There are many types of Yogurt maker machines, some won’t require electricity to work, but you will need to heat a pot of milk in the oven first.
Ideally, you should cook your milk at home with no preservatives and then put it in a yogurt maker until it is ready to eat, and the longer you leave it, the tangier it will taste. You can also buy good-quality organic milk from any local supermarket or health food shop.
What you will need to make yogurt
- 1 liter of milk (low fat or whole milk)
- 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt with active cultures (available from any supermarket)
- a cooking thermometer. You can buy this from a chemist store.
Yogurt is made in relatively small quantities, but it takes about 10 to 12 hours, so you need to plan.
Steps to make yogurt in yogurt maker
- Heat the milk in a saucepan with the thermometer until it reaches 185 degrees Fahrenheit (85 Celsius).
- Make sure that you do not let it boil, as this will ruin your yogurt.
- If you wish to make more yogurt at once, multiply all ingredients by the number of cups you want.
- After heating the milk, allow it to cool down until it reaches 110 degrees Fahrenheit (43 Celsius).
- The best way to do this is using a water bath, as seen in the picture below.
- Keep stirring regularly and try not to leave any pockets of steam that are hotter than others.
- If you have a thermometer, make sure that the water is not too hot (110 degrees Fahrenheit or 43 Celsius), as this can also ruin your yogurt.
- Once it is cooled, add 2 tablespoons of yogurt and stir well before pouring into clean containers and seal them. You can buy these from any supermarket; make sure they are heatproof.
- Put your sealed containers into the yogurt maker and leave for 10 to 12 hours, depending on how sour you want it.
Yogurt is best kept in the refrigerator and used within 4 to 5 days as it tends to ferment.